Gavin’s Birth Story…21 Months Late

November 9th, 2011 was exactly 1 week before my due date. I went in @ 9:00 a.m. for a doctor’s appointment; hoping that it would be my last one. I had been dilated to a 3 for 2 weeks already.

As Dr. B was checking me I was excited and knew for sure she was going to give me good news. “You’re not quite a 3” she said. WHAT?!?!?! No one told me you could go backwards! She told me she bet if I went for a long walk that I would go into labor. So, I gathered myself and we went home, and Ryan went back to work. My mom suggested that we go for a walk so we did. About 20 minutes into the walk I started hurting and having to stop and breathe every few minutes.  We finally got back home and I called Ryan. I labored at home for a while and then finally decided it was time to go in.

As we were pulling out of the driveway Ryan mentions that he wants to stop by Starbucks for a coffee on the way. Your wife is in labor and you need coffee? But, I digress. I let him stop and I sat in the car and pondered if this was really the time.

We finally got to the hospital and checked into triage. They hooked me up, determined I was contracting and admitted me. I was really surprised at how the pain was so much less this time around! (With Davis his head was tilted so he was NOT easy to get out!) It didn’t take long until the anesthesiologist was there to give me an epidural. (Which was not good…he had to do it twice. Ick.) But, once it kicked in I was golden! I was able to visit with family while I waited for things to move along.

Before too long my contractions started slowing down. With hesitation I agreed to a “small” drip of pitocin. It worked, but too much! I started contracting really rapidly and G wasn’t tolerating it well. They even lost his heart rate at one point. When that happened a flurry of activity started up around me. The nurses had me roll to my sides, put oxygen on me, and then made me get on my knees! It’s not the easiest thing in the world to try to balance yourself on one arm, keep the oxygen mask on your face and be numb from the chest down! (It was absolutely the worst to be checked that way as well!) They eventually gave me something to slow the contractions, and that made my blood pressure bottom out. Whew, that was quite a feeling! I couldn’t see, my hearing left and I felt like I was going to throw up. I’m not sure what they gave me to even that out but I started feeling better pretty fast.

By that time Dr. B walked in and it was time to push. I was nervous but ready. I kept flashing back to when I gave birth to Davis and how hard and long the pushing was. I knew that G still wasn’t doing all that great, but Dr. B looked calm and collected so it helped calm me some. After a few pushes she said that I really needed to get him out fast. A few pushes later and his head was out. I watched as Dr. B unwrapped G’s cord twice from his neck and I pushed him the rest of the way out. No wonder he was having such a hard time! He was strangling in there!

I was also completely shocked at how much smaller he was than his big brother. G came out weighing 6lbs 13oz, where D was 8lbs 11oz. He was so tiny! It was over and I was feeling great! D got to come in and meet his little brother. It was the sweetest thing ever. I couldn’t believe I had two boys!

24 hours later I ended up getting the worst headache. Evidently when your epidural has to be done twice there is a higher chance of getting an spinal headache. Lucky me. When I was laying down the pain was completely gone, I’d sit up and it was BAD! Eventually they sent an anesthesiologist in to evaluate me and he determined that it was what I had. I had two options to try to get rid of it. Do nothing and it will stick around for a week (who wants to do that with a newborn and a toddler?), drink a lot of caffeine and maybe it will go away, or have something called a blood patch and it will cure it right away. I chose the blood patch. Ryan wasn’t there for the procedure because he had gone home to shower and change. My parents were there with me, but my dad left the room. It was a little scary because during the procedure they kept asking me my name and the date. (I guess the risks are the same as an epidural.) As soon as they did it the pain went away! Magic I tell ‘ya!

The only issue we had from there on out was G trying to maintain his temp. He had a hard time with that. But, that evening we were discharged and went home as a family of 4!






Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s